Friday, June 29, 2018

12 Noteworthy Korean Dramas You Should Check Out Too

When I created my latest top 10 Korean Dramas, the first thing I did was list down all of the shows that affected me in a way that it left a great deal of impression in me. Then I narrowed it down, rearranged some of it then my list was complete. All in all I wrote down 26 dramas.

At first, I didn't want to arrange it based on my preference but as I thought about it more, I came to a decision to group it: (i) for popular but I didn't like so much, (ii) the middle, and (iii) ones that almost made it to my top ten.

The reason for splitting it to three groups because I know people who truly enjoyed those drama. I did too but it really wouldn't make it to my top dramas. That's why it's noteworthy.


I. Popular but Only Slightly Good


12. Legend of the Blue Sea (2017)


Lee Min Ho's character is the same with his other previous ones, arrogant, sort of rich too, and you know. I still haven't seen The Heirs and I'm not planning anytime soon. What I liked about this was Jun Ji Hyun was strong and Lee Min Ho's character's job, a conman. There were also times that it was funny. The backdrop was beautiful too especially the parts they filmed abroad. The plot was a little lackluster and the romance too but it has its moments.

Legend of the Blue Sea is SBS series about a conman who went abroad to hide and he wakes up one morning to find a girl in his rented place. 

I think this was one of the most anticipated drama series last year starring Lee Min Ho and Jun Ji Hyun. It aired almost at the same period with Goblin. Apart from the Little Mermaid movies, a couple American movies, and local teleseryes that had couple re-makes already (I still liked Claudine's version the most), I haven't seen any other Asian series or movies with mermaids in it. This 20 episodes drama was well-received and internationally too. 

11. Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2016)


My sisters totally loved this series. I believe she even read fanfiction about it. This SBS 20 episodes drama is a total harem for the ladies with its star studded cast. It has several hottie princes. Lee Jong Ki was the fourth prince and IU was the leading lady. Nam Joo Hyuk and Ji Soo were also there. Apart from these three, there was like 8 princes present. There was also that opening scene back to the past in the communal bath. Reverse harem heaven! (Lol)

Scarlet Heart Ryeo was based on a Chinese novel (my sisters love reading those these days) about a girl who went back to the past before the Joseon era and her life became entangled with the princes and politics.

I actually liked the eighth prince first because he was kind but then I realized I should avoid his kind. It has complex relationships and politics with the competition among the brothers who should be the king next. This is what I like about historical dramas, complicated politics that has betrayals, expected deaths, and unlikely allies. Like most historical drama, this also ends in a tragedy. 

This series competed with Love in the Moonlight which was also a good series but for me, Scarlet Heart had more historical vibe with me that I was looking for. Though Love in the Moonlight had higher ratings. 

10. I am Not a Robot (2017-2018)


I only included this because Yoo Seong Ho and Chae Soo Bin was so cute together like they really belonged with each other. But this 16 episodes SBS drama requires unbelievable suspension of belief and patience to stop yourself from smacking Yoo Seong Ho in the head. Apart from the to the roof chemistry, the comedy is one of its redeeming feature. The idea was intriguing too, but I wouldn't have watched this if my cousin didn't swear for it as I tended to avoid robot drama because I can't imagine it ending well. I haven't in fact seen Absolute Boyfriend but I know the ending based on the manga. I'm afraid to watch it. Though I'm glad I took the chance to see this even though it was highly frustrating at times. I even sometimes call our chicken Aji 3. 

I am Not a Robot is a story about a rich man who has a human allergy. One of the branch that his company purchased builds a human like robot but due to an accident, the robot breaks. For the inventors to get the funding, they hire a woman who looked exactly like the robot and make her pretend to be one.

9. Descendants of the Sun (2016)


The legendary Song Song Couple. That's the reason. My sister loved this too. She re-watched it. Maybe I would too just for the kilig. I also loved Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo together and the series had its swoon moments but it has really no plot. Just a medical mission in where Song Joong Ki was stationed.

I feel like I've said more than enough when I mentioned the Song Song couple. Korean drama fans would get it. If you're new, I suggest you also check this out after or before you go through the others. 

Watch in mind that you're seeing it for the couple, husband and wife now, starring in it.

Descendants of the Sun is a KBS2 16 episodes drama that had 30%+ ratings. It's about a doctor and special unit soldier. 

II. The Middle


8. Squad 38 (2016)


Seo In Guk and Ma Deong Seok were a good combination. I think this is my first drama that I liked with little to no romance. This is a crime TV series where a group of conman teams up with a government office worker to con the rich people who were trying to avoid paying taxes. I watched this because of Seo In Guk and it turned out funny and the characters acting were compelling. It was also intriguing and a little thrilling to find how they would con a specific person.

The ending was a little unsatisfying but the friendship between the two main characters made up for it. Apart from that, I also liked that the latter part before their big con was unpredictable. The characters stuck to their characters' personalities but the goodness in their heart remained despite that.
Squad 38 is a OCN drama with 16 episodes. Watch it if you like Seo In Guk or interested in crime series.

7. Witch's Court (2017)


Just Between Lovers was supposed to be in this spot but when I re-thought the list, it got bumped out. Don't get me wrong. JBL has its good side. It was realistic, cute, and heartbreaking in many ways but Ma Yi Deum still ruled. To be honest, I didn't recognized Jung Ryeo Won here until my sister pointed out that it was the ex in My Name is Kim Sam Soon. She aged and her hair was shorter but she was still pretty as ever. When I started this drama, I didn't know what I was in for except for the validation that my sister gave. She got passed episode 6 and still watching. That was good enough for me. Let me give you a warning if ever you pick this KBS2 drama. There's a pretty detailed brutal descriptions of rape here. 

Witch's Court starts when Ma Yi Deum is still young and then her mother disappears. That's what got me hooked. What happened with her mother? Was she still alive? Will Ma Yi Deum find her? But what really pulled me in was the character herself. Strong, mostly rude, ambitious, the type of girl who will do everything, fair or not, to get what she wants. We don't get much of female leads like her. 

This 16 episodes drama was mostly about crimes against women and hearings as the main characters are prosecutors. There was also a bit of thrill as the characters got closer to catching the bad guy. Even though the main characters, Jung Rye Won and Yoon Hyun Min, were set up to be lovers of a sort, there wasn't much of it. 

6. Suspicious Partner (2017)


Ji Chang Wook has many good dramas and this is one of them. Healer was amazing too, in a way, and I contemplated a lot whether to include it. In the end, I decided to go with this because I didn't expect how things would turn out when I saw the first episode of this series. If you like Ji Chang Wook, watch this. The only drama of him that you should avoid is K2. He was totally cool in black suits as a bodyguard but it's not worth the things you have to endure.

This was my second drama of Nam Ji Hyun and I almost didn't recognize her except for when I heard her voice. She had a distinct way of speaking. Suspicious Partner is a law and crime drama with the main leads as lawyers. It starts with Ji Chang Wook being known as a strict prosecutor and Nam Ji Hyun has to work for him until things turn around when Nam Ji Hyun is being prosecuted for killing her ex-boyfriend. It is a 40 episodes series with 30 minutes running time each. 

Another thing I liked about this SBS drama was Ji Chang Wook's friendship with Choi Tae Joon. Of course, I totally hated the love triangle they had with Kwon Nara and the cheating that happened. Seriously. If you're not to keen about those things, I'd say skip those scenes and just focus on the cases. Speaking of cases, I also liked the back story of the killer and how everything went. 

By the way, have you heard Choi Tae Joon and Park Shin Hye are dating? It came a surprise for me but I'm happy for them. They look good together.

5. Oh My Ghost (2015)


I started this one time and did not continue past two episodes. When I had nothing better to watch and my sister vetted that it was good, I tried it again and eventually lost sleep when I reached episode 4. This was also the drama that made us call Jo Jung Suk, "chef" until now. He will always be chef too us. Even when I enjoyed his other drama, Jealousy Incarnate. (I also loved that drama but I would have to say many things I didn't like so I left it off. It wasn't even included in the handwritten list. The performance in his wedding there was just amazing.)

But there was one thing I didn't like about this tvN drama. Oh My Ghost is about a timid girl who works in a restaurant and becomes possessed by a ghost. I liked Kim Seul Gi and this was the drama that put Park Bo Young in my radar. It was just A BIT OF SPOILER!!! when Chef started falling in love with Park Bo Young, it seemed at first it was because of the ghost possessing her. There were scenes that disproved that but it felt weak. 

In another light, this 16 episodes series had some hot kisses and I totally didn't see that that guy was the killer. I had some inkling but it was still a nice surprise.

4. Because this is my first Life (2017)


I believe this is Lee Min Ki's comeback drama with Jung So Min as the female main lead. Besides that this is one of my favorite trope, fake lovers to real, I liked this because of Woo Su Ji (Esom). Guys, she was awesome especially at the end when she finally stood up to that asshole guy at the office. Her love story was the best for me. The friendship between the the three girls was the one thing that I adored in this tvN drama. The three girls were different in terms of their life goals, work, etc but they remained friends throughout the year. But there was one thing that really made me pause, the story of the girl with a long time boyfriend whom she was living with. I got curious as how to their story would end because their situation was easily relatable, I fast forwarded to their scenes. Part of me was relieved with the ending but a part of me as well was wishing another conclusion.

The main lead love story were cute at first but it got a little dull and overshadowed by the others in the latter part. Because This is My First Life is about a man and a woman who shared a house without knowing that the other party they were talking to was the opposite sex. Jung So Min is assistant writer in drama waiting for her breakthrough while Lee Min Ki is a computer programmer who is house poor and in need of a neat roommate.

If you're up for cute, with flairs of drama, slow-budding romance, check out this 16 episodes series.

3. Strong Woman Do Bong Soon (2017)


Park Bo Young is so adorable. She's one of my favorite actress. I saw Park Hyung Sik in Hwarang though I didn't pay much attention to him but here, he shined. The role suited him and he had chemistry with Park Bo Young. Another thing I liked about this drama was Ji Soo. The love triangle wasn't what I would have liked. Their trio combination was good though.

This series was about another physically strong woman that was hired to be the bodyguard of a young rich man. Strong Woman has a hint of thriller and crime with the latter part of the drama. It is an JTBC drama with 16 episodes

There are some scenes that might be funny others and plain disgusting to others. The gang comedy dragged on in my opinion. But there's that one scene I thoroughly loved: the reverse princess carry.

I. The Ones That Almost Made in to the Top Ten


2. Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo (2016-2017)


I recently re-watched this series along with Another Oh Hae Young because I couldn't get past episode 6 or 9 onward to any of my current watch. This would have made my top ten if I hadn't been annoyed about they portrayed the relationship with weightlifters and gymnasts. Like why should they be enemies and what's wrong with being big or skinny? Lee Sung Kyung was not a believable weightlifter with her actual body size of course but it was good that she was tall. But I adored Kim Bok Joo because she's a family girl and it was cute and endearing to see her go through her first love. 
Another plus for this drama was it's a friends to lovers trope, one of my favorites. The comedy was good too. My sister and I still laughed at the funny scenes the second time around. I believed we watched it again just for that. It wasn't also bad that the viewers get to see Nam Joo Hyuk's abs. Not only that, he broke some of the cliche scenes for male leads in rom-com series.

I could still say a lot of things about what I liked and didn't but I'll leave it as if you're sad or looking for school and sports series, this is the one to go to. Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo is a MBC drama with 16 episodes that follows a young woman in her road to achieve her Olympic goals. It's also about her first time falling in love with a doctor from a diet clinic.

1. Hwayugi (2017-2018)


This was Lee Seung Gi's comeback drama after he returned from military. I was already interested when I saw the poster and even more so when I saw that Lee Hong Ki would be there as well. (FT Island anyone?) This really would have made my top ten if I make a yearly top ten list. My sister is currently watching it and I sometimes watch with her. My feelings about this drama remained the same. 

First, let's not talk about the age gap between the main lead, Lee Seung Gi and Oh Yeon Seo. Of course, I don't mean in real life but their characters in the drama. Jin Seon Mi grows up as a special girl who can see ghosts and spirits. One day, on her way from school, as she is being harassed by a ghost, a strange man (Cha Seung Won) appears in front of her. She makes an exchange with him to go get something for him. In getting that thing, Jin Seon Mi encounters Son Oh Gong, a deity in imprisonment as punishment. 

Another fantasy tv series from tvN. I liked Goblin more because the love story was easier there but Hwayugi/Korean Odyssey has its better points too. I think the hard (slow) romance was part of its charm. They were the type of main couple who say bad things to each other but would feel bad about it and the viewers would know they're really into each other. It gets old in time but when they finally come and be together, it's so worth it. Yep. Definitely worth it. My sister literally squealed. The other thing I liked was that the characters, mostly the demons including Son Oh Gong, were unpredictable. They're good most of the time but they can still act bad. They were true to their desires and nature. The betrayal and some of the actions were unexpected. I also adored the budding friendship between Ma Hwang and Son Oh Gong. The two of them bantering was funny most of the time.

There's just one thing I have to warn you about. This drama is a tragedy like Goblin. It has an open ending feeling but I cried buckets and lost sleep just to finish it. You should definitely check this drama out. It has 20 episodes so you'd be full of feelings.

***

That's it. What do you think? Do you think I left some of your favorites? 

Now, if you have some new or old recommendations, please don't hesitate and leave comments. I badly need one.

No comments:

Post a Comment