Friday, June 22, 2018

Summer Crush Review

Out of the three amazing ladies, I first read of Jay's Blossom Among Flowers (read my review here) then I read Tara's Scandalized last year. I've always wanted to read something by Six but only got to when I saw a copy of Sounds Like Summer in the local bookstore.

It's already the rainy season here in the Philippines but in other countries it's only the start of summer. Huling hirit sa tag-init. Here's my review of Summer Crush, the perfect beach read, the first book before Second Wave Summer.

Ask me what I remember the most in Summer Crush other than it's in the beach. I'll give you three things. Pa-minchan minchan (it made me laugh and I'm smiling as I type this), Holy Trinity of Abs, and endless music theme.

Summer Crush is anthology written by three wonderful women. They managed to interconnect their books' universe into one music festival at the beach because when you look at it their common denominator are bands.

The book started with Jay E. Tria's You Only Need Reminding with the Trainman's bassist's girlfriend, Ana (which by the way has his own book Songs to Get Over You, his story with Ana started there) on their way to La Union for the music festival. I'll be honest I didn't really like Miki from his previous books because of his previous situation which were mentioned here as well, but now that he and Ana are together after that, I have come to appreciate them both. I finally saw what the other readers love Miki for. Ana is a lucky woman. I also like that I can relate with Ana easily.

Other than that, Shinta's abs. Kim was adorable. That's all. Insert a wide grin here.

Another awesome band came next, the EG Project boys all the way from Korea in Almost There. Scandalized was my first book of Tara Frejas and Minchan had always been my favorite. The jumping of time was pretty confusing and I had to turn back to first few pages to check, but what I like about this story was the closure that was not in the Scandalized plus Gabriel. I need a Gabriel in my life. I would have like more drama but I realized it was enough and fitted Yihwan's personality.

For the first two stories, I would recommend reading the Playlist series first, Scandalized, and Just For the Record because the story started there and this is more of a bonus story. Some of the events were mentioned here as well but I feel like you would relate and appreciate it more when you already have the background.

Rhys (update: I didn't know, Rhys has her own book Just For the Record) appeared in both Sounds Like Summer and Feels Like Summer. Finally, the readers would get to know more about the elusive scary little boss. It was intriguing but I had a hard time getting into Ocean Eyes. I think Rhys' bad mood at the start was contagious. I also didn't like the start of Rhys and Isaiah's relationship even if Ryan was not really vocal about his relationship with Rhys. SPOILERS!! Didn't Rhys wanted to stop what she have with Isaiah because she's waiting for Ryan and she also said she was only with Isaiah when Ryan wasn't there. Sure, she and Ryan both changed when she left but why couldn't she and Ryan clear out their relationship first before she jumped into a physical relationship with Isaiah. END OF SPOILER!! 

Other than that, Rhys was cuter than expected especially with the cat. But Nico totally captured my heart. Will he get his own book? I really hope so.

One last thing, it also made me wander if Summer Crush happened in the same timeline with Sounds Like Summer.

Summer Crush was a satisfying read that opened me to new perspectives and a music filled (abs too) universe. There's a lot of characters to love and my heart was full. I came to love the characters more.

Reading the authors' Summer Crush Reflection Paper in their blogs made me smile too. There's a lot of behind the scenes there. You guys should check that out too. Here's the link for Tara,  Jay, and  Six 

You guys can get Summer Crush in Amazon Kindle and Paperback (PH only): tarafrejas.com/orderform | http://www.jayetria.com/print-books-order-form/

Summer Crush 2, Second Wave Summer, is also available in Kindle. You can read an Excerpt and my Review here in my blog too. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment