Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Book Tour: Second Wave Summer Review



I recently finished Summer Crush (will post a review soon) last May before I started reading Second Wave Summer. It was nice to go back to that universe again with all those lovable people along with the extra new ones I have yet to get to know. 

When I started reading this, I only had a vague idea from what I saw on a few tweets. All I knew was it will be at the same setup in La Union and the same summer music festival at the beach. I figured Trainman with Shinta, Arabella, NICO, and Rhys would be there too (from the Playlist Series of Jay E. Tria, Sounds Like Summer and Feels Like Summer of Six de los Reyes). But I knew Ringo and Kris from You Out of Nowhere by Jay E. Tria is one of the couples in the anthology.

The book opened up with Six de los Reyes's A Taste of Summer with Michael Brian as the protagonist. I got really excited. I was like, wow, it was finally his time. Though Adrian is still my favorite Arabella boy much like Kris. Then there was the thing with Son. So much excitement since I read his story in Promdi Heart

Then next up was Tara Frejas's Rushes. I knew it'd be impossible for the EG Project boys (I love Minchan) from Scandalized to appear again. But it was nice to see a new character I haven't read about. The opening line for each chapter was a little weird but it worked too. I'm conflicted with Datu though. I don't really like stories with guys/girls who hadn't gotten over his/her ex. SPOILER!!: I hated how he dated all other girls only to realize he still loves his ex. His brother was right he was an asshole. But I'm glad for him. Now, he's finally being a man. END OF SPOILER!!

After reading the first two stories, I saw the pattern that it was just like a teaser for a full book or maybe another anthology unlike Summer Crush that felt more of a satisfying read. But I also liked that this book has no steamy scenes. 

Ending with Jay E. Tria's Ask Me Nicely was perfect. I have so many things to say about Kris and Ringo I'd end up gushing and spoiling other readers. All I can say is Ringo and Kris are so precious. That's also because I'm a big fan of Kim of Trainman. 

The acknowledgement was pretty cool too and it seemed like there would be a third book (but not summer?) based from the after party. I'm also looking forward to the continuation of Michael Brian, Datu, and Son's story. 

I'd suggest to read the first book, Summer Crush, to know more about the standee, tropical condoms, and the endless festival theme music. But I guess it'd work too even if you haven't read the other books. You'd be more interested to get to know the characters. But it's easier to relate with the characters once you already know them.

Reading Second Wave Summer was fun. I'd do it again. 


Want to read an excerpt of Second Wave Summer? Head here!

I also ate champorado last weekend. :)
SUMMARY:

All roads lead back to beachside music festival Summer Crush for another weekend of high waves, rock & roll, and the promise of summer romance. 

On any given day, Michael Brian doesn’t need to do much to hit the right notes with a girl, but there’s something about this day—and something about this girl—that’s got him out of tune. (A Taste of Summer, Six delos Reyes)

Indie filmmaker Datu puts on his dusty event videographer hat for Summer Crush. But memories of a love he let slip away resurface from every corner of this surf town. Now what he thought would be an easy job just isn't so easy anymore. (Rushes, Tara Frejas)

Corporate-highflyer-on-vacation Ringo has a question to which cookie bar boss woman Kris has the answer, if only they’d stop getting in each other’s way. (Ask Me Nicely, Jay E. Tria)

YOU CAN GET IT HERE:

Amazon (ebook): bit.ly/secondwavesummer

No comments:

Post a Comment