Friday, July 20, 2018

A Super (Junior) Experience



I must admit I wasn't an avid fan of Kpop unlike Kdrama but there was a time in my life that I ordered albums from Korea and boy, they were expensive plus the shipping fee. But it wasn't Super Junior. It was FT Island when I saw Lee Hong Ki in You're Beautiful back when I was still freshman in college. After that, I entered the K-pop world but it was only limited compared to today's variety of groups and their popularity. I knew EXO and BTS by name only because they're one of the most popular boy groups these days. My fangirling days didn't last the entire years of college because it's hard to follow everything when you're busy and I tell you, it wasn't just like listening to music. There's variety shows, dramas, albums, mini-albums, Japanese albums, DVDs, and expensive merch. 

Have you seen the TWICE lip tint merch? It's so pretty. I want one but I'm also sure I don't want to spend that much money on something that would probably end up as a collectible, collecting dust along with books in my room. I also didn't have the heart to spend P2,300-P2,500 (around $47) for the SuJu official light stick. My first thought was how much books I could buy with that. The ticket we got were also just GA. We got front seats though. But we still picked a bad side. We didn't expect an arch blocking the view of the inner stage and the main screen. Despite that, I had the most incredible time. Definitely one of my unforgettable experience. It was that kind of feeling brought upon by concerts.


If you're not familiar with Super Junior, then perhaps if you're my age (around twenty something), you probably heard Sorry Sorry. I remember classmates dancing it back then with those foot works I couldn't follow. It was one of their most popular songs. If you're into Korean dramas, then probably you've heard of Siwon? He has a latest series, Revolutionary Love. I haven't seen it though. If you really hadn't heard of them, they're one of the oldest, still active Korean boy (men as they're already in their 30s) group. They went into a hiatus years back when several members entered military service. Super Junior has 11 members but only 7 of them were able to perform in the concert. Two were still in the military. Two were in hiatus. One was because fans in Korea boycotted that said member (because he got married, that's a whole lot issue. I've read posts in both sides but I guess fans can be scary in their own ways too.) The other was involved in another DUI issue. Anyway, I suggest you listen to this song, Lo Siento ft. Leslie Grace. It's one of my favorite song. But the most memorable song of all other than It's You (Neuragoo. I'm singing it as I typed the title. Haha) is No Other

My favorite member is Heechul. I thought he might not be able to attend the concert because of his health and also because he missed the Kcon. But he was there. It must be hard for him to dance because of his knee but I'm thankful for his efforts. He was also hyper during the concert, screaming and all. He definitely liked Pacquiao as a boxer I hoped because Pacquiao is not a very good politician to put it simply. Heechul got even his own moves. It's a bit sad that he might not be able to join the next album but his health should be his priority. 

During the concert, I had come to appreciate Yesung more. He has a beautiful voice. I thought without Kyu Hyun and Ryeo Wook, there'd be no main singers but the others did great.
I've always been more fond of bands rather than groups though. And groups in Korea have a lot of members. Their idols have to sing and dance. There was this show, Produce 48 I think, that compared Korean idols and Japanese idols. I only read an article because Hongki was one of the coaches. There was this vague thought I remember. The difference between their skills was big because Japanese idols (I believe they're AKB48) said that they only have to be cute on stage. Something like that. Here's the link, Why Japanese idols lag behind Koreans, so you can read it for yourself. 

That's enough chatter. Back to the main show, the Super Show 7 in Manila last June 30, 2018 presented by Pulp Live World. Most of the concerts I've attended were hosted by them but this was the first time they had this special envelope with souvenir cards. It was cool you guys even if we had to line up to get it because it wasn't available in the SM Tickets in the province. I thought it'd be like cheap cards but it wasn't. The only other con beside from the arch was the line to the entrance to the arena. The line went as far as the Coral way and it rained. Since we had reserved seats, I thought we didn't have to line up so we ate dinner in Ramen Nagi (they said I wouldn't be able to finish it. I proved them wrong) and roamed around a bit though we only went to two bookstores. I finally bought War Storm by Victoria Aveyard because last time I checked it wasn't available in the province. I have yet to read book 2 and the rest. 

The line wasn't so bad. It moved pretty quickly. It wasn't just as organized as the previous shows. There was only one long line for all sections except for the standing sections. It also helped that we were one and a half hour early. We got in thirty minutes before the show and there was still a long line behind of us. I think the back log happened because they didn't open all the gates at once. I remember passing by to get the card at around past 6 and there were only two gates open. Other than that, the show was fantastic. If they ever come back in the future, I might see them again.

Sure, it wasn't sold out like other Kpop shows. I was quite surprised that the lower box sections on the other side were quite sparse and that's where the group of fans put the banners for the fan project which sadly didn't pan out. The fan projects and fans' dedication were among the things that I liked. We got handed banners for Hyuk Jae. The fans were also older compared to when I saw All Time Low last year and the people I met were teenagers. I was also fascinated with the set up of the stage even though I've seen pictures and the production of the concert itself. They changed clothes a lot of times. I forgot to count though. They had props and videos. They danced while singing. They even tried to speak Tagalog and it was one of my favorite part.

Lastly, our feet hurt because we were standing most of the time even with the seat. I didn't want the night to end. I had such a great time. It felt so magical. I'm glad I took the leap and decided to see them.

One last thing, we saw Jay Tria (@jayetria) and Ronald Lim (@tristantrakand) when the concert was over. I wanted to fangirl but of course, I didn't. I was too shy. I didn't know what to say and I was sure it'd turn awkward. I knew Jay E. Tria was tall based on her pictures but she really was more than I imagined. Since I'm speaking of #romanceclass, I'd like to recommend Scandalized by Tara Frejas. This is not the first time I mentioned that book but with what I said about fans earlier. Her book seems fitting. It shows the ugly side of fans. 

That's it for now. Stay safe everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment