Saturday, July 14, 2018

June Recap + Flash Reviews


This was supposed to be my first post in July but I figured a week before that I can't possibly make a long post days after the end of the month because of deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. (Finally, I'm done!) I used to do this in one of my other blog but two months compressed into one post where I talked about my writing and reading. After much thought, I decided to do it here instead. I realized it's tough to manage two blogs as much as it's to handle two twitter accounts. 

First, my current WIP, a YA fantasy I've been writing since December last year. When I look at it that way, I crumble a little inside especially considering I'm two months behind my self-imposed deadline. I crumble some more. Pardon me while I take a few deep breaths so I could piece back myself. *cue deep breathing* 

I'm better. I took a look at my progress table and saw that I only wrote 5k+ words. It's actually worse than my last month but I learned to look at the bright side rather than continuously beat myself up. I'm definitely better. This turned to a self pep talk. Sorry about that. On the bright side, I'm so close to actually finishing this WIP and I thought I would finish it by the end of June but I got sucked into a different hole of deadlines. Now that I had more time to think about it, I think I am scared to finish it. Editing is daunting. The amount of things I have to fix is like a mountain itself. It's a little stressful but I'm looking forward to filling up details and research. Well for now, my target is to finish the first draft by the end of July.

Other than my WIP, I decided to blog regularly and I managed to reach my goal last month for one post a week. It's a small goal but it's better to acknowledge what I'm only capable of since I can't write reviews as much as I can read. I'm actually glad and proud I finished a rather unexpected long post, 12 Noteworthy Korean Dramas

That's it for my writing. Even though I can't write reviews faster, I took down notes as I read for a mini review. 

For June, I managed to read 8 books. My favorite read last month was a reread, PS I Like You by Kasie West. It's also my favorite book of her. Next was The Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger. I'm actually a little troubled as to where I would find the next books in the series. It's not available in the largest local bookstore. I might try the other store but I don't live in a city and it's more pricey there so I'm still not sure. Without further ado, here's my thought about the books in my June TBR which I managed to read.

Flash Reviews (Spoiler Free)

The Keeper of The Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

4/5 stars

I thought I wasn't going to like this book when I started it because in a way, it's a lot like HP and there's no clear plot until the latter part. The pacing was quite fast for me especially how Sophie accepted and adapted to things, but the world building was kinda cool, high tech but magical. I especially like the covers and drawings of the characters. I was curious as to who the guy was in the cover because it wasn't dark haired so Fitz was out. The mystery was also a plus. But it was also a downcast because in the end, it felt like nothing really was ever revealed or explained. I also didn't know what's at stake or who the enemy is or the problem other than likely being expelled. The first book feels more like the introductory to the world and characters. Nonetheless, it was very interesting and I'm looking forward to the next books. (Gotta find it first tho and it's already several books.)

By the way, The Keeper of the Lost Cities is about a talented genius girl who can read minds discovers that she's an elf and must go to their realm. I totally had no idea what this what about when I picked this. The reason I bought it because I saw an author recommending this and I thought why not give it a try.

Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine

3.5/5 stars

My favorite in this book was the concept of Draconi. The world building was pretty awesome too. The difference between one country from another was very distinct. The map was amazing as well. I feel like if I said too much I would already spoil you. Shadow Queen is a retelling of Snow White though there were still differences and at first, I didn't know the prince turned king would have his own point of view in the story. The plot would seem predictable but there were still unexpected twists and turns. I got disappointed twice with things and temporarily stopped but the author addressed what I was disappointed about. The happenings made sense. The author did a splendid job with that. There were just two more disappointments relating to Irina that to me were not justified. The first one was with Viktor that I saw coming and the effect made sense but I expected there would be more to it than that. The other was related to the great defeat of the evil queen before the happily ever after. It felt like 'that's it?' sort of thing. Why didn't Lorelai do that in the first place?

I'm still contemplating whether to read the next book since both are stand alone books. I have yet to read the sample chapters.


Never Never by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher


3.5/5 stars

This was so intriguing I read this in one night. I kinda rushed it because I wanted to know what happened. I'm glad I read this book with all its part. The book was released before into three books before this compilation. The first part was very mysterious and intriguing. I think that's the reason I couldn't stop reading it. Apart from that, I totally didn't expect a steamy scenes. It wasn't visual but it was effective. Though things got ugly when the veil of mystery lifted bit by bit. I hate books with cheating. I overlooked it because I had no idea what happened and how it came to that. When it came to conclusion, I didn't hate the reason as to why and how the phenomenon happened. The authors gave clues when Charlie was looking for clues and read the last part of the journal. I thought that must be it. I wonder if such love really exists. 

Never Never is about a girl and a boy who can't remember a thing about themselves. Not even their names. All they know is that they are a couple because that's what the others imply to them. 

No Love Allowed by Kate Evangelista

3/5 stars

Let me say this first, I read this as an ebook on Kindle and I didn't know the actual story ends at 75% mark. I stopped the night before at the beginning of the last chapter (I had no idea) thinking a lot will still happen. Imagine my disappointment when I swiped and read the end. That's to say that the ending wasn't quite satisfactory. Don't worry. It's a happy ending but there were many questions left unanswered. The story felt rushed in my opinion. I also didn't saw the climax because I relied on the percentage mark. But I liked the interview with the author at the end. I also liked the trope in this book, rich boy-poor girl, fake lovers to real. Other than that, I like Didi. She's unique and that's not because of her mental illness. Though with her paintings, name, and the climax, I thought it was similar with When We Collided by Emery Lord. Despite that, Didi and Caleb was cute together and I actually like Caleb's lines. He was amusing.

This is my third book by Kate Evangelista and I adored Savor more but this is worth a try if you're looking for a light summery read with fake relationship. You guys should check it out as well. I'll be reading Nathan and Preston book soon.


The Last Boy and Girl in the World by Siobhan Vivian


3.5/5 stars

Keeley, the main character, is unlikable but I think that's one of the things I liked about this book. She's not the girl I would totally vibe with in real life because not all jokes are funny but it was easy to empathize with her. She may have been insensitive more than many times and the book has an open ending so there's more room for her to grow. I found this story intriguing, exciting in a way, and relatable in the scenarios of floods and heavy rainfall. To be honest, I get scared when it rains hard for hours nonstop and thunderstorms and typhoons are common here in the Philippines. The premise was so good and I was fine with the main character. It was just the romance and how things ended. Well, the ending was more hopeful and full of possibilities but I guess I was hoping for more. I would still recommend this book but with less expectations of romance and more of letting of all sorts of things. It was an easy read but reflecting back on it, I felt it more on the heavy side. 

***

That's it for now. As I have said in my previous post, my June ended in the most fabulous way ever. The highlight of my month was the Super Junior concert last June 30. Will write about that next. Watch out for it!

Before I ended this post, I think t's only proper to include that it's almost figure skating season. Yay for that! The assignments for the Grand Prix are already posted. I believe I hadn't vocally said anything but I'm glad Yuzuru didn't retire from competing yet. Definitely looking forward to this season's programs.

It's almost half of July so I hope we all make the most of it. Don't forget to bring umbrellas and be sure to stay healthy everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment