Saturday, February 13, 2016

Shoujo Manga with Anime

I bet you want to see your favorite characters and swoon over them in colors or you want to hear their voice or you just can't get enough of them. This post is the (incomplete) list of Shoujo Manga that has been turned to anime.

I grew up with Cardcaptor Sakura if I remember  correctly, also to Sailor Moon but I couldn't remember it so much and of course to Fushigi Yuugi and UFO Baby. Manga, especially shoujo manga, are not fully translated to English if it isn't as famous as Naruto, One Piece so it's hard to find an English version (especially if you live in a country like mine) and release of volumes takes time.

I find myself almost every night looking for something to read, surfing the net. Before I go to sleep, I have to read a manga. I've been obsessed with shoujo mangas that I find myself on google to search for what to read next according to my liking so I listed Shoujo Manga with Anime that I have read or watched so you can select one or two from my list or share a comment on your favorite series or share your favorites that are not on my list.

Still can't get enough of your favorite characters? There are also drama and movies based on manga. I've also made a list about Shoujo/Josei Manga with Live Action Adaptation.

What exactly is Shoujo?

Shoujo is a genre which is akin to Young Adult. Its main target is for young girls. Most popular manga is published weekly, monthly in magazines in Japan like Lala and others per chapter. 

This list is random and not arranged based on whatsoever.

Remember to support the artist by buying their manga or the DVD for the anime.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the pictures below and the manga/anime listed, they are owned by their rightful and geniuses owner. The pictures were googled by me.




1. Skip Beat* 
by Nakamura Yoshiki
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life
No. of Chapters: 195 (Ongoing)
No. of Episodes: 25 (Completed)
It was turned into a drama and live action/series (Taiwanese (2008) and Korean (2011))

I never watched the anime, drama or live action but I have read the manga but not up to the latest chapter. I stopped reading because of the slow updates but once you started reading, you'll get hooked by it. It's very funny and the drama is intense. It is the number 1 shoujo manga in Mangahere.com

2. Lovely Complex**
by Nakahara Aya
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life
No. of Chapters: 66 (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 24 (Completed)
It was turned into a Japanese live action movie and Teppei Koike starred as Otani on the year 2006. The theme song for the anime was sung by Hey!Say!7 and Tegomass.

I have read and watched the manga, anime (watched it countless times) and the movie. In my opinion, I think the manga is the best among the three. The ending was superb and the events after the anime was definitely worth a read. The plot is perfect for those who loved romantic comedy and a-bit-slow-romance-development. 


by Hatori Bisco
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Gender Bender, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life
No. of Chapters: 83 (Completed with Special Chapters)
No. of Episodes: 26 (Completed)
There is also a drama series or live action which aired in Japan during 2011.

One of the best gender bender manga/anime I've read/watched. The story at first was a bit light but it got intense (especially in the manga). It is a very funny manga and the romance was slow but it was worth the wait. The ending was very satisfying. I enjoyed the special chapters. Definitely recommended. There's also lots of bishies.





4. His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano)** 
by Tsuda Masami
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Josei, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life, 
Psychological, Tragedy
No. of Chapters: 101 (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 26 (Completed)
The soundtracks used in the anime is very catchy. Reminds me of my early childhood.

To be honest, the anime (especially the near-end episodes) were terrible. There were also times that the graphics were bad and it ended pretty abruptly. Even though the art was a bit old, it was still worth a read. The story started light but the drama was heavy, really heavy. It did not only revolved in romance but also on other aspects of life and the other characters too. The ending was superb and I couldn't ask for another ending. 



5. Bokura ga ita (We Were There)** 
by Obata Yuuki
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life, Tragedy
No. of Chapters: 70 (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 26 (Completed)
It has a live action movie this year 2012 starring Ikuta Toma and Yoshitaka Yoriko.

The anime ended hanging but the manga's ending was great. The story revolves mainly in romance and family problems. Some parts of it was heartbreaking (I cry easily). You will really like this if you're into relationships with a lot of trials. It also contains a love triangle between friends. 


6. Gakuen Alice (Alice Academy)** 
by Higuchi Tachibana
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life, Tragedy, Action,
Psychological, Supernatural, Fantasy, Mystery
No. of Chapters: 180 (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 26 (Completed)
The anime is pretty popular and there has also been a video game for this series.

This is one of the anime that I had watched every time there is a replay on tv. There's also a lots of bishies in it. The story at the beginning was light but it got really intense. The romance in it is slow in general but the little romance scenes in the manga is very heart fluttering. It also contains love triangle. 


7. Nodame Cantabile**
Nodame Cantabile Paris Hen
Nodame Cantabile Finale 
by Ninomiya Tomoko
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life
No. of Chapters: 136 (Completed but there is a sequel: Nodame Cantabile - Opera Hen)
No. of Episodes: 23, 11, 11 (1st, 2nd, 3rd season : Completed)
There's a Japanese Drama Series but I haven't watched it yet.

I had watched this series so many times in tv and in the net. I personally like Nodame. She's so funny. The series is great plus there's music in it. The story is hilarious and the romance is slow and there are only few parts were it is clearly shown (I mean, serious romance) but I truly enjoyed the series. I haven't started the sequel manga yet and so far there are only 10 chapters.


8. Kaichou wa Maid-sama* 
by Fujiwara Hiro
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life
No. of Chapters: 77 (Ongoing)
No. of Episodes: 26 (Completed)

The updates for the manga is slow so I haven't read it to the latest chapter but I have watched the anime. Even though the anime is open ended, it was still quite good. I loved how the manga started lightly with humorous plot and how it became serious with discovering the character. The plot is unique and romance is slow but it clearly shown that it is mutual. 


9. Kimi ni Todoke (Reaching You)* 
by Shiina Karuho
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life
No. of Chapters: 74 (Ongoing)
No. of Episodes: 25, 13 (1st and 2nd season: Completed)
Miura Haruma starred in a live action film and there are also light novels produced for this series.

I intend to watch the movie because Miura Haruma is one of my favorite Japanese actors but I haven't watched the anime, both seasons. On the other hand, I stopped reading the manga when (I wouldn't say because that would be a spoiler) so I haven't read it to the latest chapter but I'm late for about 5-8 chapters only. Sawako, the main character, is often compared to Sunako from Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (because of the hairstyle) but both of them are totally different from each other. I liked the pure love and shy type characters in this series.


10. Ghost Hunt** 
by Ono Fuyumi, Inada Shiho
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Supernatural
No. of Chapters: 12 volumes (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 25 (Completed)
The light novels were written by Ono Fuyumi .

I enjoyed both especially the anime because of the effects. It wasn't really scary but I remembered an episode that scared me a lot but other than that it was enjoyable even though it's a horror series. If you're a scaredy cat, watch it with others. The plot is very  good even though I was not quite satisfied with the ending in the manga. I like the main character a lot. 


11. Sugar Sugar Rune** 
by Anno Moyoco
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Fantasy, Supernatural
No. of Chapters: 8 volumes (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 52 (Completed)
The manga and anime have different endings.

I haven't watched the anime fully. It's really long and good for a anime marathon. I find the story and art a bit for little girls though the boys look awesome and the plot is good. My sister said the ending in anime is better than the manga but both are happy endings. A little magic  and love is the recipe for this series. 



12. Shugo Chara!** 
by Peach-Pit
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Fantasy, Supernatural, Mystery, Action, Slice of Life
No. of Chapters: 48 chapters (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 51 (Completed)
There is Shugo Chara Party! and Shugo Chara Doki!for the anime while Shugo Chara-chan Kids and Shugo Chara Encore in manga

I'm not a fan of Shugo Chara! but it is cute and the plot is good too. I watched the anime but not until the end and I also read the manga but not all. It's just like Sugar Sugar Rune, the characters are still small and the romance is a bit slow and more of adventure and stuffs like that.


13. Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge 
(Wallflower/Perfect Evolution)* 
by Hayakawa Tomoko
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Martial Arts, Slice of Life, School Life 
No. of Chapters: 121 chapters (Ongoing)
No. of Episodes: 25 (Completed)
There is also a live action series which Kazuya of Kat-tun starred as Kyouhei.

I remember falling off the chair due to my laughing when I watched the anime. The manga is even funnier though I'm not updated to the latest chapter because the updates were slow. I never watched the live action but I heard its pretty good. This is a very good series and I truly enjoyed it even though the art is not perfect. 


14. Sukitte Ii Na Yo
by Hazuki Kanae
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, School Life 
No. of Chapters: 34 chapters (Ongoing)
No. of Episodes: 13 (Completed)
It is a 2012 aired anime.

I still haven't watched the anime yet but I'm just 3-5 chapters behind in the manga. The plot is a bit cliche but it is good and it'll make you want for more. The main character is irritating at first (I don't really like her long hair) but she is funny and very likable  It is a story focused on romance and friendship



15. Nana
by Yazawa Ai
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, Josei, Tragedy 
No. of Chapters: 84 chapters (Ongoing)
No. of Episodes: 47 (Completed)
There is a  Japanese film for this series and album entitled Love for Nana.

I was in love with this series and too bad the manga is still in hiatus. The anime and manga are both very good, the drama, the plot and even the music. I liked all the characters and the art is unique and beautiful. I never noticed that the anime was long but I watched it completely. I tried watching the movie but I never got past the part 1. Try listening to the songs in youtube and you'll fall in love.  


16. Fruits Basket**  
by Takaya Natsuki
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, School Life
Tragedy, Supernatural, Fantasy 
No. of Chapters: 136 chapters (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 26 (Completed)

I watched the anime when I was a kid and never got the chance to watch it again. Though I have read the manga twice. It never gets old. Even though the style of art is a bit old. The plot is unique/interesting and has a good ending. I was really satisfied with it. It also kinda reminds me of my childhood.

17. Vampire Knight** 
by Hino Matsuri
Genre: Drama, Romance, School LifeTragedy,Supernatural, 
Fantasy, Mystery, Action 
No. of Chapters: 93 chapters (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 13, 13, (Season 1 and 2 Completed)

I was quite addicted to this series back then. I've got ton of posters in my room and even got a mouse with the design of Vampire Knight. I watched the anime, season 1 and 2 but I'm not currently updated with the manga because of slow updates. I liked the songs in the anime and even though vampires are overrated, give this series a shot because there is something that makes this series exciting, mystery I guess.

18. Aishiteruze Baby** 
by Maki Youko
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life
No. of Chapters: 33 chapters, 7 volumes (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 26 (Completed)

A very cute series. Yuzuru-chan is very cute and I liked how Teppei-oniichan cared for her. The story is light though it progressed little by little revealing the conflicts of the plot. Even though the series is a bit old, the art is quite good and the cute scenes are really enjoyable. The romance is not the main focus of the manga but the family sort of importance/conflicts. It also has a quite nice ending.


19. UFO Baby** 
by Kawamura Mika
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, School Life, Sci-Fi, Fantasy
No. of Chapters: 47 chapters (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 78 (Completed)

Another cute series. I remember watching this when I was a kid in the television then I tried re-watching it when I was a lot bigger then. I never got to read the manga though. This series has a light plot and slow progressing story. The romance is slow and there is a lot of adventure with an alien baby of course. It is quite enjoyable and reminds me of my childhood. It is nice to watch when you're really bored and you have plenty of time. 

20. Honey and Clover** 
by Umino Chika
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, Josei
No. of Chapters: 64 chapters (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 24, 12 (Season 1 and 2 Completed)
It has a Japanese movie, Japanese live action drama and Taiwanese live action drama.

I loved the art of this series. I haven't read the manga but I already watched the anime and the Japanese live action drama because I remembered Ikuta Toma as Takemoto. It was a heart breaking series but I loved it. I watched the anime for several times and never got tired of it. I also liked the opening and ending theme songs. For me, the ending of the anime is already satisfying. 


21. Ultra Maniac** 
by Yoshizumi Wataru
Genre: Comedy, Action, Romance, Slice of Life, Shoujo, Fantasy, School Life
No. of Chapters: 5 volumes (Completed)
No. of Episodes: 26 
It was aired during the year 2003.

I watched this series when I was young in Animax. Even though I have never read the manga, the story is quite good, short and not really heavy drama. The series involves magic, friendship and love square. I must say that the twist in their loves stories made a strong impression in me because I can still remember it though I can barely recall the ending. If you are a sucker of magic and school love and a bit back then anime, I guess you'll like this one.


22. La Corda D'oro** 
by Kure Yuki
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Reverse Harem, Romance, School Life, Fantasy, Slice of Life
No. of Chapters: 75 (16 volumes)
No. of Episodes: Primo Passo (26), Secondo Passo (1)
It was originally a role playing game (rpg) directed to female audience.

It's only now that I know that it was based on a rpg. It was no wonder because the series is filled with bishounen. The story is a bit out of the ordinary because of the fantasy genre. It was a dream come true for any girls to be surrounded by handsome guys especially if they play instruments. The music is one of the things I like in the series. I have read and watched the series. Its good to do both but if you prefer to listen more I suggest you watch the anime. 


23. Marmalade Boy** 
by Yoshizumi Wataru
Genre: Romance, Comedy, Sports, Drama, Psychological, Slice of Life, School Life 
No. of Chapters: 39
No. of Episodes: 76
It was turn into a Taiwanese Drama with 30 episodes. It also has a sequel entitled Marmalade Boy Little which was released during March 2013.

Actually, I haven't watch the anime yet but I have read the manga. It was short and I like the step siblings relationship. The series is an old one which can be seen with the art. Nevertheless, it was a good series. I guess the anime will be a good marathon since it is has so many episodes. 

24. Ginban Kaleidoscope** 
by Kaibara Rei (Manga Adaptation by Jun Hasegawa )
Genre: Supernatural, Comedy, Romance, Sports
No. of Chapters: 2 volumes
No. of Episodes: 12


I watched this series in English dub. It was quite good since I had a good time watching it. I haven't read the manga and I'm not planning to because the anime has a good ending. The characters are funny and the plot is quite different due to the element of sports, ice skating. It was short but very enjoyable.




25. Hana Yori Dango** 
by Kamio Youko
Genre: Romance, Comedy, Drama, Slice of Life
No. of Chapters: 37 volumes
No. of Episodes: 51

Who wouldn't know Hana Yori Dango? It has been turned into a drama series in Japan with the same title, in Korea (Boys over Flower), and in Taiwan (Meteor Garden). Truth to be told, I have never read or watch the manga/anime but I watched the three drama series. It is a popular series though the anime is quite old. I like Matsumoto Jun personally but I guess the main character (girl) in the Korean and Taiwanese remake is more appealing. 

26. Fushigi Yuugi** 
by Watase Yuu
Genre: Action, Adventure, Historical, Drama, Romance, Fantasy, Harem, Tragedy, Supernatural
No. of Chapters: 18 volumes
No. of Episodes: 52
It has a prequel entitled Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden which is also finished.

Tamahome. When I watched this series, I was still young and the drama scenes in this series is really heavy. But the story is good. Watase Yuu is also a good artist. One of her work is Absolute Boyfriend which is also popular and has been turned into a drama series.


27. Colour Cloud Palace

by Yukino Sai
Genre: Historical, Comedy, Romance, Harem, Fantasy, Supernatural, Drama
No. of Chapters: 22 (ongoing)
No. of Episodes: Season 1: 39, Season 2: 39
Also known as The Story of Saiunkoku/ Saiunkoku Monogatari

The story is very interesting especially it is historical with the prince/royalties and all. I was hooked with the anime but since the manga uploads is slow so I never got to know what happens next. The main character has a strong personality and most of the characters are also bishounen.


28. Card Captor Sakura** 
by Ohkawa Nanase, Clamp
Genre: Supernatural, Fantasy, Romance, Adventure, School Life, Comedy
No. of Chapters: 12 volumes
No. of Episodes: 70 
There's a two movie.

I never read the manga but I'm sure I watched all the episodes of the anime. I didn't see the movie but I practically like this series since I was a kid. It may seem a bit for kid with magic and all but the story goes deeper in the latter part. The other feel like version of this is by clamp as well entitled Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles even though the story is a bit different but with almost the same characters from Clamp. By the way, my sister owns a set of clow cards. 


29. Peach Girl** 
by Ueda Miwa
Genre: School Life, Romance, Drama
No. of Chapters: 18 volumes
No. of Episodes: 25
It was adapted into a Taiwanese Drama during the year 2002 starring Vanness Wu

I watched the anime in English dubbed but I never read the manga. I'm not really fond of the plot but it was okay with the drama and love triangle. But there are really times when the love triangle in this series is so tiring. Anyway, this is a good watch despite the old style of drawings. 


30. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (My Little Monster)** 
by Robico
Genre: Comedy, Romance, School Life, Slice of Life
No. of Chapters: 52
No. of Episodes: 13 
The OVA will be released with the 12th volume of the manga

I haven't watch the anime or read the manga either. I attempted reading the first chapter but I stopped since it isn't updated weekly. The plot looks interesting and the art is good. 




31. Chihayafuru
by Suetsugu Yuki
Genre: Josei, Romance, Sports, School Life, Slice of Life
No. of Chapters: 111 (but not completely scanned)
No. of Episodes: 2 seasons (1st, 25 2nd, 19 as of May 23, 2013)


I love this anime. It makes me want to buy the Karuta Cards. Seriously, watch this series. I tried reading the manga but I was so disappointed since the are missing chapters. It's not a series focused on love. But I'm so in love with Taichi and Sudo. I always wait for the next episode every Saturday.


32. K-on!** 
by Kakifly
Genre: School Life, Slice of Life, Comedy, Seinen
No. of Chapters: 6 volumes
No. of Episodes: 13, 26
It has a movie.

Well, this series is under Seinen which is intended for older male but I think this may be under shoujo especially the anime. Gosh, I love the anime and the music. The ending is superb. I remembered crying since its the end. I never got to read the manga but I may since it continued into their college days.



33. Super GALS**
34. Sailor Moon**
35. Mirmo De Pon!** 
36. Special A** 
37. Clamp School Detective**
38. Kamisama Hajimemashita*
39. Ao Haru Ride**
40. Full Moon wo Sagashite**
41. Itazura na Kiss**
42. Kodomo no Omocha**
43. Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji*


Note: ** Complete, both anime and manga
           *   Ongoing, manga

 
Did I miss one? Don't hesitate to tell me and what's your favorite shoujo manga or anime? Mine is Ouran High School Host Club. What's yours?
 

1 comment: